Saturday, September 10, 2011

Preschool

     Yesterday was Addie’s first day of preschool. She has been SO excited, elated, enthused, and full of anticipation for weeks. We had to make a paper chain for the wall starting at 21 days out so she could get even kind of a grasp of how many days it would be until school would start. She has taken it very seriously and is doing her best to learn how to do different things on her own so she can be fully ready and “big girl”ish for school.
     The most exciting part about school is the backpack and lunchbox. She absolutely flipped out when I gave it to her. She thanked me half-hourly for days and even made up “I love my backpack” songs to adequately praise her new accessory.
     When the day finally came, she was all a flutter. On thursday we went to the meet and greet and cuteness ensued (as documented on the quoteboard). The next day was the first day of class and she did extremely well. Not a hint of shyness or separation anxiety or even apprehension. We walked her to do her door and that was that! Addie’s never had issues leaving us behind for friends or fun times though, so we weren’t too surprised at her lack of sentimentality.
     It was incredibly strange to not get to watch her while she’s there. With her many dance classes and gymnastics classes and playtimes with friends, I have always been able to watch her and see how she’s doing. I also gain a level of enjoyment just from seeing her be so happy and excel at whatever she’s doing. It is SO hard for me to not take part in preschool! I have no idea how she’s behaving, what she’s grasping, what she’s struggling with, and who her new friends are. I know that I will learn more as the year goes on, but still… I won’t be able to witness it. This is all just part of growing up but it will take me a long time to get used to! I have been with this girl all day, every day for 3 years. It is such a foreign feeling to leave her with somebody else for something this big and important.
     And what’s the first day of school without some pics?! I’m sure that none of you thought I’d skimp in that department :)

*Oh, and I suppose I need to explain the band-aid. Addie had a type of blood blister on her face that needed to be frozen off. It needs a band-aid on it to protect it for probably the next month or so. It is not my accessory of choice, but if it has to be there—we are doing our best to make sure to find cute ones.






6 comments:

Danielle said...

She looks so cute and so excited! What a big girl.

Phillips Family said...

Geez, we thought she was going for the Nelly rapper look. Wow, preschool...that is a huge step!!

Jen O said...

Cute! Does she go to preschool for lunch? What did you pack for her in her lunchbox? Seth can't wait for his first day tomorrow. Yay for preschool!

merrilykaroly said...

She looks so happy :) I love her dress!!!! I think I know what you mean about not being able to be right with her as you see her discover the magic of learning everything. Hopefully she will tell you about it!

Mrs. Smith said...

She's a total doll

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

She looks so grown up!!