Thursday, January 28, 2010

Addini: Houdini’s lesser-known niece

     Addie’s crib has always been her happy place. Her own little kingdom; one could say. It’s usually actually quite the struggle to get her OUT of her crib after she wakes up for a nap because all she wants to do is show me her many crib tricks, and to point at every doll, blanky, picture, and carpet fuzz in her room.
     Apparently, her feelings toward her kingdom have changed as of late. The weekend before last, I put Addie down for her nap early because we needed to be somewhere in the afternoon. She usually goes down really well without any problem, but we had just been playing outside and napping WAS NOT what she wanted to come inside to do.
     Anyway, within 2 minutes, she went from talking to herself and saying “ma ma ma ma” over and over again, to all of the sudden screaming for her life. I figured that she must have bonked her head or something in her crib while doing a somersault or something, so I got up to go check on her—but before I could get to her room, she came running into the hallway! Seriously, I was shocked!!! She hadn’t ever attempted to climb out of her crib before (to my knowledge), so it hadn’t even crossed my mind that she would try to escape.
   But little girls grow up, so I tried to be understanding and I patted her and said “There, there… but Addie, if you climb out, you’ll fall! You need to stay and take a nap. You don’t want to fall again, there there”. Then I tucked her in and walked back to the master bedroom. Before I could even type to Sam what had just happened, Addie was in my room again! No fall or anything this time, she just popped right out of her crib and ran into my room.
     I had to see just how this was being accomplished, so I set up our camcorder in her room and left her by herself to see what she'd do. This was the result…

*Side note: I realize they look silly, but straps on her bed are to keep the chew protection strip on*
     Listening to her scream and cry is nearly unbearable, so I turned the volume way down on Addie and added a musical score for effect. My favorite part is when you can see her look directly at the camcorder (she definitely knows just what a camcorder is) and decides that getting back in her crib is the better choice. That was definitely the right choice :)
     She hasn’t completely gotten out of her crib since, but we’ve already started looking at big girl beds to upgrade her. That means I get to decorate a whole new room!!! This bed set is my favorite so far (sorry the picture’s so small, it’s all I could get off of their flash site):

8 comments:

Becky said...

poor frustrated Addie. Thats an awesome video.

Miller Family said...

What a smart little girl!! That video will be funny to watch when she is older.

Jenn said...

That's so cool you got it on tape! How funny.

Anonymous said...

well apart from it being really terribly sad to see her cry, she is a very talented little climber! very impressive!

The Hills... said...

Have you thought about putting a tent on top to keep her in? That's what my sister did.

merrilykaroly said...

yay for toddler beds! that one is super cute. I'm sorry that Addie is no longer containable in a crib... but what a fun step toward growing up!

Shelly Cunningham said...

THAT is my WORST nightmare. I simply CANNOT have the boys crawling out of their cribs. Oh, I do hope the good Lord spares me!

kevandcan said...

I love the video - what a cute kiddo