As I mentioned in his two month post, Simon has been having problems with ear infections. Not only are they infections, they are bad enough that his ear drums rupture so the goop can escape. It is very rare for babies under 6 months of age to get ear infections at all. If they get an ear infection before then, it usually isn’t serious enough to perforate the ear drum. Not only are perforated ear drums temporarily extremely painful, they can lead to permanent damage to ear drums and loss of hearing if they happen too frequently in infants. Most doctors will strongly recommend a surgery to insert tubes into the baby’s ear canal if the baby has 4 infections within the first year, and this surgery is rarely done before 7 months or so. My sweet baby turns 3 months old in 4 days and has already had 3 perforated eardrums in the last 5 weeks. According to the doctor who came to examine him tonight in our home, Simon's is the most extreme and confusing case she has come across and we need to do all we can to get him into a pediatric specialist ASAP (which is harder to do than I imagined, they're trying to say our first appointment would be in January!).
Luckily, his hearing seems to be totally intact. He communicates back and forth with us and responds to noises just as a newborn should. Despite having a really bad set of ear pipes, Simon is pretty much the happiest baby I could ask for. He is rarely fussy, he eats well, and is usually just content to hang out and be loved on. He does hate his car seat, it is true; but other than that he is a happy little camper who just sleeps ALL the time. I think it is his way of coping with the pain and meds. He has been sleeping for 10-12 hours straight at night and 8 hours of naps during the day for almost two months now. He just wakes up to eat, coo and play with us for a bit, then he goes right back to sleepyland. He is still 90th percentile for height and weight and is right on track with all of his milestones, so we just have to assume that he’s getting all he needs despite not having to eat as often as other babies his age.
The following link is the detailed explanation of what’s been going on and more about our at home doctor visit today and what treatment will be needed in the future. It will probably be of interest to only a few of you, but I need to write it down for my records. It’s not way long, but as to not burden the blog and also to help save your eyes from reading it on my Halloween color pallet, I am posting it on a separate link.
Thanks so much for your well wishes on facebook. My heart is really breaking for my poor little boy, I hope so badly that nothing permanent will result from this.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Poor little ears
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
oh my gosh! the poor little guy. that's freaking awesome that microsoft sent a dr over though! dang! that's amazing. what a blessing. you guys are definitely in our prayers. hopefully little simon gets to feeling better soon! hang in there!
i just read your link! i hope someone can get to see simon ASAP! there has to be someone somewhere who can get you in before january for crying out loud!!
That makes me feel so sick to my stomach. I really hope you can get in to someone perfect. It's times like this when I'm really thankful that we have God on our side, if you know what I mean. Good luck! Sweet little Simon deserves a pony for being so good.
I still can't believe MS has a doctor home visit- it makes sense, as you said, that's cheaper than the ER.... I wish more companies thought like that.
What a relief that he seems to be able to hear ok. I would be so worried about that.
Be warned, Amoxicillin can be pretty awful too- even to adult systems.
We'll definitely keep you in our thoughts and prayers, poor little man.
I'm so sorry little Simon is going through this! But, I'm glad that he has loving, involved and strong parents to fight for him! I hope everything goes well on Monday and you get an immediate appointment with a specialist. Hang in there, and give SImon a big hug from us!
Oh, Simon!! I'm so sorry, Lori. We will be praying for little Simon and the best of luck getting with that specialist PRONTO!
That poor little guy, I am so sorry to hear that. It is the worst to see your baby suffer and to not be able to do a ton about it! That is wonderful a doctor got to come out to your home, I hope you have more news from a specialist soon. Little Simon will be in our prayers! Hope you're holding together okay, I'm sure I would be such a mess about it!
Glad you had a doctor come and see him. I believe any ENT appointment is much better than waiting until January for a kid's ENT. We use a normal ENT and he does great for our 2 boys with similar problems.
Post a Comment