Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sam's Seven Secret Indulgences


This is Sam, and I'm using a new avatar... bonus points for anyone nerdy enough to know where it comes from (I'm looking your way, Chris).

In the name of blogging I decided to post seven "secret indulgences"; things I secretly like although wont freely admit. So here they are, in no particular order.
  1. Saltine crackers and cheap yellow "American" mustard - I like to think I have a sophisticated pallet. I get bitter when my fish is over cooked, meat over seasoned, or when my noodles are too soft. When I cook, I bust out the "difficult" or "expert" recipes from foodtv.com... that's just how I roll. But for whatever reason, eating cheap saltines with yellow mustard makes me very happy and content... go figure.

  2. Rose-is-Rose - Yes, the comic that's obviously written for Moms. I wish I could understand which part of my de-masculated psyche enjoys the comic so much, but it just makes me smile and happy inside. I wont go into it, but I secretly aspire to be just like Jimbo (the Dad), Rose (the mom), Pasquale (the kid), and Peekaboo (the kitten). No further comment.

  3. Bologna- the deli meat. Maybe 2 years in Brazil got me hooked on it (you could buy blocks of it, non-sliced, and with the white, fatty spots ). Same conundrum as the saltines and mustard...cheap, but makes me happy. Sometimes with cheap yellow mustard too...

  4. Musicals - Ok, maybe not such a "secret" indulgence, but they get stuck in my head for months. I especially like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Little Shop of Horrors, Oliver!, Oklahoma, Les Miserables, and Moulin Rouge (yes, it's not true musical, but I don't care)

  5. Antiques Roadshow- That show on PBS where people bring in their antiques/crap and have them appraised. Seriously good stuff. Either it's some 200 year old woman who finds out her ugly vase is actually worth $25,000 and she nearly has a heart attack, or some snobby lady who thinks her "family heirloom" ballerina is worth thousands and it's only worth $50. And the appraiser knows, and asks the condescending question "So how much do you think it's worth?". Hehehe, great stuff.

  6. Disney Collectible Ornaments - Not saying anything on this one... Lori said it wouldn't be a true list if I didn't include this one. I don't want to talk about it.

  7. Good Eats - Alton Brown's cooking show on FoodTV. Cooking, Science, Puppets, what more could I ask for in a cooking show? I can't convince Lori to sit down for an hour and watch a guy make a perfectly roasted rib of lamb and explain the science behind the salt-water soaked string and indirect heating.
There ya go... seven things you may not have known about me, and things I'll never 'fess up to.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Don't worry, Sam... it'll be our little secret. Along with everyone else who reads this blog:).

Chris said...

Day of the Tentacle! Bonus points for me!!!

PureDesign said...

2. 3. 6. & 7. Are showing true signs of that gay side of you that you keep supressing for some reason...

Just totally accept it like Chris...

Chris said...

Guymon's right, Sam; be just like me.

PureDesign said...

I know just EMBRACE it!

Sam said...

Hey, good eats is the most manly cooking show there is (that actually deals with cooking and not just barbequeing)