Sunday, April 15, 2007

The craziness ensues

      So we have had a crazy couple of weeks for sure. Sam was finishing his senior capstone project for his core and it proved to be quite the formidable foe. I'm not exaggerating at all... he didn't get home until midnight or 2am for that past two weeks, some days programming from 7am until midnight. The only time I saw him at all was the two times I met him on campus and ate dinner with him at the cougareat. Then he had two all nighters in a row on Thursday and Friday night getting the project ready to turn in and present. So as of last night at 11 pm Saturday night, Sam hadn't had any sleep for nearly 3 days, and hadn't had a full nights sleep in 2 weeks. Anyone who knows Sam at all will know that this is a feat most unnatural for him. Sam is a person that needs his sleep... but he is also someone who is dedicated to what he's doing and isn't about to turn in a mediocre project. So he presented at 8 am on Saturday, then was evaluated at noon, and it was finally all over.
      Being the angel that he is though, the second he was done with his project, I asked him if he wanted to take a nap. He simply answered, "Don't Kenny and Jenni need help moving today?" then he changed out of his presenting suit and into his moving outfit, and we drove up to lehi to help Jen move all of her furniture into their new place. Needless to say, he was sufficiently pooped last night. His alarm went off for us to go to church this morning and he slept right through it, so I decided to turn it off all together and let the boy sleep. We did go to the last hour of church though, so we could see our friends and whatnot before we move.
      So we finally got access to the relocator service on thursday and I started the wretched process of trying to find somewhere to live 2 weeks before moving there. It seemed pretty desperate at first, the first 3 places I called said they had already taken too many interns and couldn't take any more, then the next 3 places I called all had rent between 1300-1700 a month for a one bedroom... one of them was even 2300 a month. I was feeling sufficiently overwhelmed and intimidated at this point. What had I gotten myself into? Luckily, I found a place 9 miles from where Sam will work for 865 a month and Kevin said it is a good neighborhood and should be about as safe and happy as we can get for downtown Houston. So I filled out the application and faxed them all the things they needed and housing should be taken care of now.
      We got our key to our storage unit and boy am I glad I called and reserved one in advanced, the guy said that he had turned down 50-100 people a day because they are all full and so are all the other storage units in Provo or Orem. So I'm definitely glad that we have a good safe place for our stuff. We will start moving all of our things starting tomorrow, then Saturday is the big move when we will move out all of our furniture and whatnot.
      So that's the update. I have officially moved out of the happy excited phase into the frantic and intimidated phase. For how much I may complain about Provo, I will miss a lot of things about it. I know where everything is here, there aren't any surprises, I will miss being surrounded by other college students, and I will definitely miss the unity of faith that Utah has. It's really unlike anywhere in the world that way. Provo is just full of people trying to be the best that they can be, and it's very inspiring being surrounded by such friendly, well-intented people every day. It makes it much easier to be a better person myself. Where else on earth are there at least 5 married couples per block who are under the age of 25 and have two kids, yet take the time to make family, church, and education their main priorities? On sundays, every car is full of people in dress clothes coming or going to church, and every saturday night at 11pm, the grocery stores are completely jam packed with people trying to get their shopping done so they can keep Sunday a special day. It may be in its own unrealistic bubble, but it has been my bubble for quite sometime.

3 comments:

kevandcan said...

Lori -- I really enjoyed your blog. What a fun time of life...and yes, hectic. It's quite a anxious time as you head out to somewhere you've never been and leave family and friends -- but at least it's only for a few months this go of it. I remember leaving Orem/Provo as Candace, Jonathan and I said good-bye to it for the last time. I was quite sad leaving such a great place for somewhere where we have no family...but 4 years later, things have turned out great and now we have family coming to live here for a little while!

Lean on us as much as you need and as often as you'd like!

Jenn said...

Good ol' Sam. Seriously, he was everyone's hero saturday during the moving. Thanks again so much for your help.
You will definitely be missed. Thanks for forging the way for me... again.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you! May you have lots of fun and enjoy this great adventure. It is the start of a new chapter in your life. What a Prince that Sam is... take care of yourselves. Mom loves you both!