This has been SUCH a tiring but cool week. Because the movers took care of all of the hard stuff, Sam and I thought that we only had 2 hours worth of sorting, packing, and organizing work to do in our apartment to get it ready for the move. However, we started at about noon on sunday, then didn't really go to bed until 3am. Then the movers showed up at 8am on monday (ringing the doorbell and waking addie up a few hours early), and they got started right away with packing. The tough part about being moved by others is that you're obligated to stay in the house all stinkin' day long. Also, we didnt have our rental car until the afternoon, and sam was out running errands in the morning so Addie and I were STUCK in our place. They were packing all of our things, so there really wasn't anything for us to do. To try to keep addie out of the way, I created a 4 foot by 4 foot baby area out of boxes, then the only toys I had to offer her were two pair of keys and sam's work badge. My little sweetheart Addie kept herself occupied and happy like that for 4 hours. I, on the other hand, was going crazy. Luckily, our friend Josh was able to come and pick Addie up at 1ish and drop her off at Sam's brother Chris's place. Hooray for nice family members! Chris and Cindy wound up watching Addie for the rest of the day for us. For real, that helped SOOO much.
So... that still left me stuck at home while the move happened. The movers put all of our chairs into the moving truck at about 11 am, so I had to sit on the floor of our front room until 8 pm when they were finished. The whole time, I had to listen to the poor-quality humor and hacking smoker's coughs of the movers. Bleh, that was a seriously mentally taxing day. I was ready to stab someone by the time they left. Not to mention, my back was about to snap from sitting on the floor all stinkin' day. Luckily, we didn't have to do the move on our own... but that doesnt mean it was free of stress or back pain.
Tuesday was a pretty busy day as well. We had to run all of our last errands, clean our apartment, and make time to say goodbye to our friends and family. We went to tucanos for dinner with sam's siblings and it was SOOOO good. I will totally miss that restaurant! I'm a huge meat lover, so brazilian barbeque sits just fine with me.
Saying goodbye to Chris, Cindy, Carter, Cassie, and Kent was a total bummer... but it still feels like we will get to see them from time to time so it was easier to actually say goodbye.
After dinner, we went over to see our bffs Josh, Adele, and baby Josh one last time. Oh my goodness, I was crazy sad to say goodbye to them. It was a total bummer to split baby josh and addie up. I do believe that true love will reunite them again some day.
That brings us to yesterday: REDMOND DAY! We got up nice and early to make sure to make our flight. Microsoft paid for Addie's own seat, so that was a HUGE improvement to flying. We just stuck her in her carseat and were able to enjoy having our laps mostly to ourselves. We had tons of luggage and the trip was still quite an ordeal, but Addie was super fantastic and rolled with all of the punches and lack of naps. She got all sorts of "what a good baby you have, she's adorable!" comments from people at the airport and car rental place.
So I will totally miss tons of things about Provo, but from the second we could see the Seattle area from the airplane windows, I instantly betrayed my previous home. Seriously, it is SOOO stinkin’ gorgeous here, I can’t even get over it. It’s like a chunk of green heaven. The weather has been fantastic too, I mean really- just stunning! What a nice welcome to our new home. I really can’t believe that we’re lucky enough to actually LIVE here now. Crazy crazy!
As I pointed out in an earlier post, we’re in corporate housing for our first month here or until we find where we’re living. The corporate housing is nice: 1300 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 3 bathrooms, huge closets. It is furnished and it is very nice, but seriously- I miss our stuff already. I’ll be very excited when we get to find and move into our new place. Not to mention, I was a little bitter about spending $350 on groceries and nicknacks yesterday. Bleh. Starting from scratch is expensive. Especially when there isnt a Walmart or Winco within 20 miles of here.
Addie’s having a bit of a hard time when it’s time to sleep. She is scared and very anxious about being put in a foreign, dark room and being expected to just drift into a peaceful slumber. Nothing that a few backpats and lullabies couldnt fix though. The rest of the time, she is SOOO excited to just run around and explore.
Thanks to the early-nineties “mirrors are chic” movement, our front room has an entire wall made of mirror. Addie thinks it is awesome. It’s like she has her own best friend to play with all of the time. I have named her mirror friend “Maddie”, and I’m glad Addie has found someone to keep her company until we find her some three dimensional friends. When she isn’t playing with Maddie, she’s busy sticking pretty much everything she can find into our power outlets. *note to self: go buy socket plugs today*
Our new place has stairs, which Addie LOVES to climb up- but we’ve never had them before so she’s never been taught how to get safely back down stairs. *note to self: teach addie how to climb down the stairs*
Anyway, that’s the update on us! The stuff we assigned to temp housing and our cars should arrive this afternoon or tomorrow, so we’re looking forward to that. We’re going to the bank today to get started on the house-hunting; so wish us luck!
I’ll get more pics and fun stuff posted in the new few days. For now, you will have to be satisfied with two pics we took of us on the plane. Don’t mind how gross Sam and I look- we had a BUSY couple of tiring days!

Thursday, May 21, 2009
Whew!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Godo luck teahcing her how to get down stairs, despite many lessons Daniel hasn't caught on to that one yet. Glad she has a new friend, Maddie. That's hilarious.
Seriously reading your post took me back to last summer. I have so many fun/exciting memories of that time. I'm so excited for you. Things probably won't settle down for a while so just enjoy the ride. And I definitely think we will be needing to make a trip to Seattle area. You know Jason will want a tour of Microsoft :)
I'm glad you arrived safe and sound!
Congrats on the move! Best of luck in finding a great home/neighborhood/ward.
Love you guys lots!
I'm glad you made it! Your move reminded me of what all our military moves are like!
phew, sounds exhausting. we didn't get our stuff when we moved for a month! i agree, starting from scratch when your husband has barely graduated sucks, but it will be over in no time. addie will pick up the stair thing super fast. we dont even have to block our stairs any more. good luck finding a place.
That's pretty funny about Maddie. Hope that you guys find lots of three-dimensional friends.
you made it!!! how crazy is that? yay for the burkmans!
sounds like everything went well for you. have fun there. and good luck with the stairs. we just taught parker to slide down feet first on his belly. it worked really well and seemed like a safe option.
Post a Comment