Friday, January 12, 2007

Hooray for babies!

     Right now is a very exciting time because two of my best friends of all time recently found out that they are pregnant with their first child. Melea Quick (who got married to Eric Bauer in 2002 and is now Melea Bauer) is 10 weeks pregnant; due August 5th. Melea was my best friend for about 10 years and she will always hold a big place in my heart. I have known Melea and Eric since they first met and started dating and I am just so incredibly excited for them. It's just so dang cool.
     Additionally, Sam's brother Chris and his wife Cindy are also expecting. She had her first appointment last week and found out that she is just over 8 weeks along (so 9 weeks now); due August 14th. They were hoping to get pregnant soon, but it was still such a surprise when we found out. We are so incredibly excited for them.
     I was rather devastated, however, when I realized that we would be gone in Houston all summer when she will be all big and pregnant. Our lives as couples and married people have been quite parallel from the beginning: We were dating, engaged, and married all at the same time, all along being best friends and doing everything together. We had always hoped we would jump on the baby train together too, but alas- I missed the all-aboard call. I always thought I would be jealous of the first of us to get pregnant, but once they told us, I was just so deeply excited- there was no room for jealousy. This would actually be the worst timing possible for me to get pregnant. We leave for Houston in 3 1/2 months and will be gone all summer. I have no idea how my work would respond if I came to them and said: " Hey, I'm leaving for 4 months and am hoping that you will let me work remotely and retain benefits while I'm gone, Oh, by the way, I'm pregnant and will stop working after I get back..." I don't really think that would go over well. However, our hypothetical plans are to get pregnant this summer or fall, then have the baby 6-8 months before sam graduates with his masters in Dec of 2008. Having a set plan and seeing the end in sight makes it so much easier to wait and save for the future. Sam said I can probably just come home early from Houston so I could be here when Chris and Cindy's baby comes, so I hope that works out.
     Everything will be so different when we get back, which is hard because I already miss how things were when we were all engaged and got to see each other all the time and school and everything else didn't interfere, but I also know that this is the way of life and growing up. A whole new chapter will start... babies will come, we are going to texas, people will graduate, and eventually we will all move on. It's the end of an era for sure- but at least it was a great era, with an even cooler one on the horizon.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Me, I'm jealous. I won't hide it. You and I can take the same baby train, though. In fact, I plan on it. To match the flow of things, though, you should get pregnant before me. That gives you until August 19th (we got it all planned out.) Ready team? Go!

kevandcan said...

Yep, it's an exciting, changing time. I remember leaving BYU and feeling both sad and excited -- sad to leave our great friends and realizing we're moving on to a fun new life ahead. I enjoyed the post.