Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The third hour

     Sam and I have gone to all three hours of church since the new year. I know this isn't a real feat for many couples, but for us-- this takes real dedication. We regularly go to church every week, but how long we stay tends to be a bigger variable. During our month of full, 3-hour attendance at church, I have experienced a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time: I actually slightly look forward to relief society. Unfortunately, it's not for the good reasons one would hope, but still- we're moving in the right direction.
Things I like about relief society:
     Good thing #1: Compliments a plenty. I bought a new dress on Saturday and wore it to church on Sunday. I was asked to give the opening prayer in RS and throughout the rest of the day, I must have received 8 compliments about how cute I look and how thin I am and what great taste I have. Anyone who knows me well probably knows that I eat stuff like that up.
     Good thing #2: RS is a medium to meet cool girls (and a bunch of annoying ones, but that's okay). My novel realization is that if you go more than once a month, you can actually start to get to know girls in the ward. Each Sunday I have met a different cool girl. We chat for 10 minutes or so before it starts, then intermittently throughout the boring parts of a lesson (quietly, as not to distract), then afterwards too. And the girls are always so impressed because I have graduated and am working in a cool job and whatnot. I know how lame this sounds- but it is fun to get congratulated on hard work and stuff like that. I'm old news to most people who know me, but new people always bring a new perspective (and compliments) and I didn't really know how refreshing that would be. Two of the girls I have met were way cool people and I really enjoyed talking with them. I do believe that I may even make a real friend soon! Someone that we could play with during the week and whatnot.
     In closing, the lessons still aren't really doing it for me. But the good news is that I have found two good reasons to look forward to the third hour of church. Of course they are rather self-serving, but you have to start somewhere, right?

4 comments:

Sam said...

That, and RS always has some goodies...cookies, candy, etc.

Elder's Q. just has a bunch of dudes, and we get to stack chairs when we're done.

Jenn said...

Yeah, we're working on that third hour too. By then, Kenny has already had his nap and is good to go, but man, that third hour kills me. Of course, I have to go- if not, the church organization falls apart because the nursery sisters didn't get their RS flyer.

Becky said...

I have kids. To leave early you have to pull them out of class. It kinda kills that idea.

kevandcan said...

It's can definitely be tough, but ever since I've been in the YM's, I find it great because I love being with my "boys" and sharing the gospel with them. In fact, today one of them came up to me and told me he's going to serve a mission...up until today, he had told me he wouldn't. So hurray for the third hour!