Friday, June 15, 2007

The life of Sam

As of tomorrow, I will have been working for Big Oil for a full month. And how will I celebrate it? good question....not quite sure.... I know there is something planned for tomorrow that I should remember.....oh yeah, Lori's friend is getting sealed in the Houston temple, so we're going to that.

Many people have been curious about what I'm actually doing for exxon (ok, probably just my parents). Now that I'm really in the swing of things, I can officially say that I do computer system auditing. My group gets people ready for their official "every-one-panic" audits that determine if they're doing a satisfactory job or if they get to "pursue other career options".

How do I get people ready? Are you sure you want to know?

Click here to read a lengthy breakdown of what I do

Ok, I lied, the link doesn't take you anywhere. That's because it's too dang boring to describe what my job really entails. I love my job of course, but it doesn't transfer well to conversation. I've tried explaining it to people before, but they last about 10 seconds before the polite head nods and good eye contact turn to drooling with a glazed-over look on their faces. Let's just say that I get to analyze every single computer program they use and make sure it's "ok" (and assessed, documented, approved, signed, filed, periodically checked , signed, then filed again).

The best part of the internship is the fact that it's the only thing I'm doing. I get to work at 7:30, I leave at 3:30, and the rest of the day is pure, gluttonous leisure time. Instead of doing homework, trying to program, or studying, I get to take naps and play video games. Plus, I can do whatever I want to my laptop and not worry about rendering it useless right before a project is due (I have ambitions of installing a 64 bit version of Vista with a Duel boot of Unbunto this weekend).

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I definitely understand the bit about your job description not translating into conversation. "Implementation Consultant" is hard to make sound thrilling.
I'm glad you're enjoying your job, though, and your gluttonous evening time. We're excited to see you this week!