Friday, June 08, 2007

Musings on "not utah" part one

      I guess I hadn't really realized just how bubbled I had become. Last night Sam and I were invited out to a bar with a bunch of interns. It was our first social activity in 5+ weeks, so we figured we owed it to Houston to at least try to get out, see more of the city, and meet new people.
      It was the first time in like 6 years for me to hang out in a smoke-filled bar setting with a bunch of people I don't really know, just chilin' and stuff. I was surprised that all of the interns have very different internships. Sam was one of just a couple IT guys there, everyone else was in civil engineering, normal engineering, geology, geography, communications... all sorts of things- and they're all doing a wide spectrum of jobs for Exxon. So obviously, the smoking and drinking atmosphere was a change from provo... but that doesn't get to me too much, I actually like the smell of fresh cigarette smoke (why I dont know, just one of those things- Sam does too actually). But I realized that for a really long time, not only have I been surrounded by mormons, but almost exclusively surrounded by IT-inclined people as well. Some of the guys there didn't even know what a server is used for. Nothing wrong with that, it has nothing to do with what they do. But the combination of hanging out with all non-mormons, in a bar, with completely different interests, knowledge, and backgrounds was a rather refreshing experience for me. I became fast friends with the only other girl there, she was raised in corvalis (near portland) and just got her masters in English from Wyoming state. Her husband just got his masters in geology and is interning at Exxon, so she's a tag-along like me. It's been a long time since I've gotten to just chat with a fellow english/literature student, and we got along quite well. There's a certain comfort in talking with someone who's studied and read more or less all the same things you have. There are few people who understand a good beowulf joke, but perhaps that's a good thing.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Yeah, it's amazing how the bubble can skew our perception of reality. I'm glad you got out a bit though.

Chelsy said...

Jenn...who's 'reality'? I didn't grow up in Utah, but my 'reality' that I grew up in still wasn't all that different only because my good friends whom I hung out with all the time had the same standards as me and lived the same type of life many people in Utah live. Perhaps I was in a bubble there too? Though many of my friends were not members of the church...they just had similar values. No matter where you go, things are different and people are different...so one single 'reality' doesn't actually exist. 'Reality' is what you make it. And 'the bubble' only exists because the people here choose to keep some things out of their lives...not because they are oblivious to it. Well, I'm sure some are oblivious...but you find that everywhere you go. :o) Just a quick thought!

Lori, I'm glad you are getting to meet other people and that you and Sam are enjoying Texas. I'm sad you aren't going to be here for the wedding! :o( Jenn will have to represent! We'll have to hang out when you get back (though neither Rand nor I can discuss web design, video games, etc with you. But...we've never let that stop us before!)

The Hills... said...

I definately believe that there is a bubble over Provo. It's kind of nice at times, but it's great to get out into the real world. I'm glad you guys are having fun. Call me when you get a chance.

Chelsy said...

Okay, now I am laughing! Callie (Shirley) Hill...how in the world do you know Lori? When I saw that you grew up in Sacramento, I had to check out your blog! Sorry about the car accident (that drive can be a beast!) Anyway...small world! - Chelsy McFadyen