Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Ob-la-di ob-la-da

Life goes on..... wo oh oh oh oh life goes on.
      Sorry, I had that song stuck in my head and the only way to satisfy it was to write that part out. It does go with the theme of this blog, though.
      So we have been in Houston for almost 5 weeks now- crazy huh? We're already 1/4 of the way done with our summer in Texas. We're honestly having the best time we've had since we got married. It's like we just get to be best friends and hang out all the time and play. We both work during the day, but once sam gets home around 4:30, we no longer have any responsibility to the world and do as we please with our time. We've seen plenty of new movies and as aforementioned- definitely caught up on some video game playing. We realize we play much more than is humanly healthy, but that doesn't take away from how much fun we're having. We're stockpiling now so that we can get it out of our system before school starts again and life goes back to crazy.
      We haven't had much hot weather here yet, which is nice. It's usually clear and pretty half of the day, then turns into a wicked storm for about 3-4 hours in the evenings. It's always a weird feeling when I happen to walk outside before the storm comes. The air is SO thick and heavy- the only time I had ever experienced air like that was in the climate controlled crocodile room at the zoo. Then it starts...honestly, the rain comes down in veiled sheets with big fat drippy drops, and it sounds like cannons are being fired off on our patio, the thunder is SO loud. We love it- I always wind up opening the windows and doors to get the full effect. It's warm, pretty, clean rain- so I have no complaints whatsoever.
      Wait, I do have a couple:
  • Our car has a new smell we have simply named: Houston. It's not a bad smell necessarily, but it's hardly a fragrance you'll find on those little cardboard car freshener trees. It just smells way humid, not moldy, just humid. It's the only way to describe it.

  • Also, the water in our pipes really struggles to get cold. Hot it can do masterfully well, but cold seems to be a stretch. I haven't ever met pipes before that didn't spew forth cold water with ease... but I suppose I haven't ever met Texan pipes before.

  • I have now had my only Cockroach experience while in the United States. We had them all the time in Argentina, but I also washed my clothes in a bucket, had to light a fire under my stove for it to work, and slept in a sleeping bag... so cockroaches seemed normal. But I haven't ever seen one in my living residence while in the US. We've only had one in our month here... but I still can't hardly talk about the episode without getting wigged out.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

That's 3 complaints for houston and... probably 50 or more for utah? Yeah, Houston wins:)

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

that is so fun that you two get so much one on one time there. Husbands can be so fun huh! I am glad you are enjoying Houston. Steer clear of Cockroaches, yuck...

The Hills... said...

Lori, Lori...you crack me up! I read your blogs and can just imagine you reading them outloud! So is the humidity getting to you? Last month when we went to Florida I died from the moment we stepped off the plane. The air was so thick and I just felt sticky! I can't imagine living in it for too long. As for cockroaches.. there are some mongo ones in Hawaii. Even all the spiders, ants, and flies at our house here in Provo don't add up to the ucki-ness of cockroaches.