Thursday, May 03, 2007

Hooray for Houston!

     Man oh man did we pick the right place to live. I was so worried about how our apartment would turn out because it was cheaper than other places online and I hadnt ever seen it before... so I had no idea if we would be living in an ugly box for 4 months or if we would be somewhere that was okay. We hit the jackpot for sure! First off, Houston is a gorgeous city. I've never seen a downtown that is so green and full of such a variety of trees everywhere you look. Palm trees, eucalyptus trees, big leafy trees... they're just everywhere. We live in the shopping district which has pretty much every store we could ever want within a mile of us. Literally, our complex shares a reinforced perimeter wall with Circtuit City and a Super Target. As for the humidity, it is a welcomed change so far. I automatically feel so much healthier and happy. My skin feels like it will shrivel up and die when we go back to the dry conditions in Utah.
     Half of every day here has been a sunny paradise, and the other half has been a storm-lovers dream. The change from sunny to storm happens in a matter of 10 minutes and it's so cool. We have definitely had a royal southern welcome made just for Lori and Sam. We both love the rain, and LOVE a good storm-- and let me tell you... Houston knows how to deliver. I'm actually writing this right now will all of our windows and our front door open so we can hear the onslaught of rain and thunder and lightning outside. I haven't ever seen such an entrancing downpoor- it's great! These pictures don't do it justice... but I thought i'd include them anyway.

6 comments:

kevandcan said...

I'm so glad you like Houston too. I sometimes think our family thinks I live in this whole in the earth, when in reality, it is a good place to live.

Anonymous said...

You guys actually like the rain?? Actually we'd probably like it if it wern't freezing. Houston rain has got to be a lot more fun.

Allie said...

I'm jealous! I love the rain and thunderstorms and I love the heat! The only thing I wouldn't like is the humidity my hair poofs out to three times the poofyness it is now! (now that I read that back poof and poofyness sound really funny and strange but I cant think of another word right now)

Jenn said...

I miss rain! And storms! We have piddly little rain showers here, but really all they mean is that we are cold and no one knows how to drive.

Becky said...

wow loo nice work. Who would have thought that the armpit of the states would be so pretty *ha ha kev, just kidding*
I love me some good rainstorms. "great big drippy drops"

Autumn said...

Wow, it can really pour there! I like thunderstorms too, but I am not a fan of the humidity. I'll have to give you my addy so that you guys can send me a postcard. I love collecting them from places my friends have lived/travel. Hope you have a great four months there!