Thursday, October 26, 2006

It's endearing, right?

You know how there are things about yourself that you don’t like, and assume you can change, but then it slips out all the time anyway and you just have to accept that though you can work on it, it is pretty much just the way you are? If you can’t see where this is going, I have decided to vent a bit about one of my sticky flaws.
To preface, I remember one time when I was a little girl and I needed an answer from my mom and she was busy doing something else. I needed my answer though, so I persisted. Frustrated, she turned to me and said, “Lori, my world doesn’t revolve around you!” to which I replied, “Well mine does…”. I really didn’t think I was being a smart ass by saying that. That is truly how I felt; my reasoning being: How could my world make sense if I wasn’t its key figure? I thought everyone should prioritize themselves first, otherwise how are they going to get anything done? Furthermore, I naturally use my own reaction and interpretation of things as my starting point to assess how other people may respond, such as how other people may enjoy common conversation, or what they may or may not take offense to. If it is something I would like said to myself, then I will say it to someone else. If it is something that makes me happy, then of course it should be something that makes everyone else happy. Of course I always try to take other people’s thoughts, needs, and differences into consideration, but unfortunately that part of the conversation usually happens around 11pm that night as I realize that perhaps I should have been more tactful or discreet earlier in the day, by which point the damage is done and there isn’t much I can do but lay there awake thinking about what an ass I can be sometimes. It is this delusional thinking that has led to a life of egocentric comments such as:
• I have the best husband ever!!! (said to someone who is currently having marital problems)

• What is that scar from? (said to someone who got the scar from a car crash when they were 17 in which their best friend, grandma, and puppy were killed)

• We just bought the coolest new couch set! (said to someone who can only afford patio furniture in their living room)

• I love my job, it is the greatest! (said to someone who just got fired and doesn’t know where they are going to find work next)

• Hooray for me! I got a big fat A on that test, what did you get? (said to someone who not only got a D-, but also got a note from the teacher saying “I’m disappointed in you, come see me in my office at 3:30”)

• Oh, I love that movie “Be Cool”, let’s watch that! (said to my mom who has no connection to pop culture, hates any word that remotely resembles any swear word, and is deeply saddened by the fact her children think that a movie like “Be Cool” could be funny)

*These are all just examples I made up to make my point, except for the last one. I pulled this “what-was-I-thinking” move 2 weekends ago*

Anyway, you get the idea. I hate that I do this. I just don’t think about what I’m talking about sometimes. I just get so excited or curious about things, I fail to take that 20 seconds of “is this something that someone else would care to hear?” consideration time before jumping into a conversation.
So if I have done this to you on occasion, I am deeply sorry—please don't think it is intentional. I assume it is my best friends and family (especially my sisters) that are affected the most by my utter lack of discretion at times, which is most unfortunate. But they are the ones I talk to the most, thus upping the foot in the mouth opportunity factor. So, in closing, the new Lori rules of thumb for the year are:
1. Be discreet—nobody likes a showoff.
2. Remember that not everything that is interesting in my head or that I’m excited about needs to be said outloud.

The disclaimer: Just so you know, this is purely introspective blogging fodder and it is not in response to any one thing, nor is it intended to be an explanation or apology directed at anyone specific. Just a general realization I have had about myself that I decided to write on, since venting is the life-blood of blogging.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I love you lori.
at least you feel bad. At least you are so very good at getting people to like you. You ARE very lovable!

kevandcan said...

Thanks for sharing. Have you mentioned this to the shadow people yet?

Anonymous said...

I agree... Very lovable :)

Jenn said...

Lori, if you need someone to brag about yourself to, you always know where to go:)