I was watching Friends off of our DVR the other night, and I saw a familiar face in a commercial for Soft and Dri deoderant. I recognized her right away as Sarah from Newsies. Newsies came out 15 years ago, and the part of Sarah is not a very big part- but she is the only girl in the production, so I will always remember her.


The actress' name is Ele Keats. Anyway, I was quite excited about my find, and I knew that Jen was probably the only person who 1) could validate my claim for me and 2) tell me how very cool I am for recognizing her 15 years after playing a minor role. I decided to pause my show right there, so I could show it to Jen when she came over a few hours later to watch the office with us. So when Jen got there, I showed her the commercial, saying that it was Sarah from Newsies, and I got a very disappointing reaction. Jen told me "yeah, I really don't think that's her. She looks too different, there's no way." Then I strongly disagreed, saying I was positive it was her, then Jen replied, "you know Lori, you're usually very good at this, but I don't think that that is her... sorry." I was pretty put out. I knew it was her! I had seen her in a commercial a year and a half ago and got the same reaction from people then too, which was frustrating.
So my search began. I looked on her page on IMDB and I saw that someone posted a message saying that they thought they saw her in a soft and dri commercial. That wasn't proof enough though, so I continued my search. I decided to turn to Myspace next, because many aspiring celebrities have Myspace pages to let people know about upcoming appearances and whatnot. Lo and behold, I found her! Not only did I find her, I asked her to be my friend. When she accepted me as a friend, I wrote her the following message:
Subject: Thanks for adding me as a friend.
Why hello! I was quite happy to find you on myspace. I grew up knowing you as Sarah from Newsies, and as such I will always be happy to hear things are going well for you. I'm sure you have better things to do than answer questions from random myspacers, but I have seen you in a few commercials in the last couple of years, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind confirming that it was indeed you. Nobody would believe me when I would say "hey, that's Ele Keats... Sarah from Newsies!".
Commercial #1 that I recognized you in was maybe a year or two ago. I think it was a mastercard commercial. You played a pretty girl in a convenience store. I don't remember that one as well because it was longer ago... but that was the first time I thought I saw you in a commercial and people didn't believe me. Was that you?
Commerical #2 is airing currently. You're in the new soft and dri commercial right?
Today, I got a response from her:
RE: Thanks for adding me
Hello There Lori- good eye ! I bet you rock at scene it.
Yes, it is and was me. I haven't seen either spot but I love doing commercials...... Happy 2007..... I'm not on My space often but I liked your message and wanted to respond.
-Ele
So not only was I right, but I got personal correspondance from her, and we are now BFFs on myspace.
So, in closing... I would just like to reclaim my throne as "outstanding actor/actress recognizer", and shame those who doubt my supernatural abilities.


4 comments:
Lori, I am shamed and awed. You are more than I can ever aspire to be.
Pretty impressive. I absolutely love that you went as far to email her and then got a reply. cool.
I bow down to your powers.
Why did I get the short end of the stick with memory genes?
Oh yeah, I got my head split open by a car, that might be it....
OK, it's official. You're amazing...but let's see if you can remember the names of each of your kids when you're trying to get them all out the door to church and one of them is being a rascal. I guarantee you'll call them one of their sibling's names! :-)
Post a Comment