Few people seem to really know or understand what my job entailed, so I figured I'd explain. Essentially what it comes down to is that there are important IT certification exams (i.e. A+, CISSP, CCNA, Sequel Server, MCSE, Server 2008, etc) that people need to pass in order to prove that they are experienced enough for different types of jobs in IT. TestOut creates software that includes instructor sessions, simulations, demos, and all-inclusive text that provides the information necessary so people can study and pass their IT exams. I was responsible for writing the text that gave a comprehensive outline and explanation of every aspect of the topics covered on the exams. My written work appeared as an accompaniment to each section of the course on the DVD and was frequently offered as a textbook so people could take a hard copy with them to study. I also took on other projects such as editing videos, editing marketing publications, and populating 3D environments for our Crime Scene Investigation product.
Now that I've cleared up just what my job was, I'm sad to say that I will no longer be working for TestOut. It was the best job I could have asked for as a new college graduate and I'm totally bummed to leave it. I'll miss learning new things, being a part of outstanding products, and being with all of my good friends I made there. I anticipated being able to work full-time (half of my day from home, the other half in the office) or at the very least being either part-time or working as a contractor, but none of those arrangements would work for the company well. They either wanted me full-time, 40 hours a week in the office, or they'd have to replace me. My boss really pushed for me to be able to stay in other capacities, but it just wouldnt work well for the company employee policies as a whole.
I don't want to leave, but I really cant bring myself to leave my sweet little Adelaide at home all day with someone else and be working so much that I'd only see her for a few hours before she went to bed. So with my baby girl in mind, I'm quitting TestOut as a full-time employee, and looking for work that I can do from home, though it will be a blow to us financially. I may still be able to be a contract writer for TestOut, but it's not anything I can count on. We have enough money in savings to last us until sam graduates with me not working at all... but it would be cutting things very tight and would also completely deplete our chances of having a downpayment on a house next year.
The silver lining:
Though Sam has been working full-time for the last year+, he didn't have full-time status or benefits through The Generations Network. Lucky for us, when his manager found out that we would soon be without benefits, she pushed hard for him to get promoted to full-time status and we found out yesterday that he's been approved. So knowing that we won't have to go without insurance is WONDERFUL news, we feel very blessed and grateful.
I'm going to take a bit more time just enjoying being here for Addie, but by the end of the summer I definitely hope to have a new job set up that I can do from home.
Just to make this post more aesthetically pleasing, here's a random pic of me and my niece Katelynn at our wedding. She was so cute that day, I doubt anyone was paying attention to me. It totally makes me freak out that that adorable toddler is now nearly 5 and a half.



5 comments:
Poo on test out, but yay for silver linings.
I do have to admit that I think Kate stole the show. That was the best little dress EVER.
Ah Lori, I know how hard it must have been for you to let this job go, but I want you to know that I am equally impressed with your merits in motherhood! You are making the right decision to be with little Addie. She is already growing up so fast! These precious moments with her you will remember the rest of your life. :) Two snaps for Lori today!
I'm sure you'll find something that works tat won't takeaway from mommying too much. I can't tell you how relieved I am for you about the benefits thing.
I remember that dilemma. I was 99% sure I would stay home with Amy, but my work was hoping I would come back. They never talked to me again when I told them I was staying at home. Ah well, Amy talks to me all the time.
The song "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go" takes on a whole new meaning if you read it from a mommy perspective. Three cheers for you!
Lori, you're so smart, you can do anything. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding a job working from home.
I'm so sad you went to St. George and we missed you. We'll be heading there this coming weekend!
Miss you guys! We have no friends here! Boo.
Post a Comment