Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Livin' it up baby style

       Addie's turning 6 weeks old on thursday and I honestly can't believe it. The babymoon hasn't ever really ended, which is nice. Addie's as easy going, cute, and happy as she was the day we brought her home. She is awake more now and loves to just sit and stare at lights or her parents. She rarely cries and hardly ever fusses to the extent that either picking her up or feeding her won't calm her down immediately. She's really made it very easy on us to be new parents and we couldn't be more grateful.
       She usually only wakes up once or twice a night (with exception of last night *yawn*) and commonly sleeps for at least one 6-hour+ stint every night. She spends half the night with me in bed and the other half in her bassinet.

She is also learning a few new tricks, such as:
  • She smiles directly at me when I tickle her (still only works 10% of the time).
  • She can hold her head up and looking around for minutes at a time.
  • She performed a baby logroll the other day (she probably didnt roll over on purpose, but it was still cool).
  • She takes a bottle now! We decided to introduce her to a bottle 2 weeks ago and she took to it like it was the most normal, natural thing ever. She is still as keen on traditional breastfeeding as she ever was, so now I get to have the option of pumping and bottle-feeding her, or breastfeeding her; this is a WONDERFUL development. We have so much more flexibility now and I'm so happy she can do both without a fuss. She's also taken to binkies just fine as well.
  • She can soothe herself by sucking on her fist or fingers. She still doesn't have hardly any control over her limbs, but she's doing really well at finding her fist and going to town whenever she's stressing out. Sometimes her fist gets away from her mouth though and she just watches it as it floats away and she gets rather sad about it- not realizing she has the power to bring it back if she so chooses.
       According to our bathroom scale, she weighs 10.8 pounds now- so she's really chunking up fast. She looks so different to me already and it makes me a bit sad... my little baby is already growing up and I'll never be able to see her as a tiny little newborn ever again. She's finally fitting into her 0-3 month clothes now and has outgrown her newborn outfits. I'm putting them away in storage today and I have to admit I'm rather sad about it. Those are her only clothes I've ever put on her, and now they're gone; this is all just too weird, but I guess I'll just have to get used to it.
       I've lost a full 30 pounds now, so I have 10-15 left to lose before I'm back to my happy place (or 20, if I want to be really ambitious). The frame of my hips is much wider than it used to be, so I won't be able to fit into my old skinny pants for a while until my hip bones shrink back from "baby birthing" mode. My daily runs are going well though and I can already tell that my body's well on its way to getting back to normal, though it will be a while yet.
       My face was retaining water the first 2 weeks or so after she was born, so I wasn't too keen on taking any pics of me at all. But this last week I realized that I hardly have any pics of me with my little girl, and that's no good. Anyway, it seems my face has been back to normal for a few weeks, so here's a new pic of me and Addie:

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

i was just thinking you needed a new post! I'm so glad she is sleeping so well at night, and i love the new picture of you two!

Jenn said...

You look great! Like, just like your old self. Sounds like Addie and Daniel have much in common with sleeping, rolling and keeping the head up. I need to work on the bottle feeding though.

Allie said...

So cute! Time goes by so fast its crazy! I'm glad everything is going well.

Danielle said...

You girls look fabulous!

Phoenix Fiber Arts said...

Wow! 6 weeks already?! Time flys! You look great! I am glad you realized you weren't getting any pics in of yourself with Adelaide. You would have been so mad at yourself later! This is a beautiful pic. That is one great camera! I am glad to see that she is progressing so nicely. I am so happy for you Lori!!

Cassie said...

So have you decided what your going to do with your hair? Summers here, blonde is calling :)

eric and melea said...

Its such a crazy thing, but almost every women will get to experience pregnancy and raising a child and growing ever closer to their spouse, but yet when its happening to you it feels like the most precious amazing experience. Its so cool that we all get to bond in these moments.

merrilykaroly said...

Hot picture, Lori! Yeah, jr. outgrew his 0-3 month clothes before he hit 2 months. I hated saying goodbye to my favorite froggy sleeper. I guess we'll just have to have more babies!