Saturday, November 15, 2008

A combination of elation and frustration

I was SO excited for addie when she learned to roll over onto her tummy on her own. Finally, she would have the control and ability to do what she wants to be doing, rather than feeling "stuck". You could easily tell she was quite happy with herself for having achieved such mastery. Honestly, that glow lasted about 2 days before she decided that rolling was old hat, scooting was the new cool thing to do. Scooting led to army crawling, army crawling led to 4-legged crawling practice, through which she taught herself to get into sitting up position all on her own. She is SO proud of herself about sitting up on her own. The problem is though that she is too flexible for her own good, and nearly always winds up becoming pretzel-legged or doing the splits while trying to get back into crawling position. It really is funny to watch, but also a bit sad lol.
Each of these accomplishments makes my life simultaneously easier and harder. I no longer have to do that task for her, but at the same time I have to watch her be frustrated as she struggles to learn her new trick, then I have to up my babysitter skills to make sure she doesn't hurt herself.
Her dedication to learning new things has definitely brought about plenty of faceplants and head bonks and even her first bruise (right on her forehead, no less). I swear I watch her like a hawk, and I try to pad whatever is around her... but there's only so much a mama bear can do, ya know? Anyway, due to her fear of faceplants, she still has deemed 4-legged crawling as "too risky". She gets up on all fours, takes a few little steps, then goes right back into army crawling because she knows that that is safe. I know that once she can 4-leg crawl, she'll be frustrated with that and just want to walk, then run, the pole vault. Honestly... I just dont see any time in the near future where she wont be elated about her newest skill and want to show it off, but at the same time horribly frustrated that she can't do the next cool thing she has her mind set on. Rolling over seems to have opened pandora's box. She was completely content to safely lay still all day long and just stare before that lol.
Anyway, here are some pics of addie insisting that bath time should now be "crawl and slip in water" time.
We start off each bath hoping she'll be content just laying down and splashing:

She was dancing a water jig in that first pic. Notice the turbulence of the water? Also, she had just tried to roll over and breath underwater in the process. This led to an inevitable choke and cough session to clear her lungs... hence the red face and eyes.
That lasts for about 1 minute before she decides that she MUST sit up (usually bonking her head twice in the process):

She's not really as skinny as she looks in this next pic. She is sucking in and laughing here:

Sitting up and slapping her hands down on the water (making a huge wet mess in the process) satisfies her for about 3-4 minutes, at which point she decides that crawling and flailing around like a drunk on an oil slick would be much more fun:
Okay, her leg looks RIDICULOUSLY long in that pic.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the bath pics. Plus, I can now see what you were trying to describe earlier about the whole roll over/breathe in water thing.

I think Addie is just an over-achiever with all her new accomplishments :) Keep an eye on that one!

Miller Family said...

She is so cute!! And man Ollie does the same thing in the bath where he turns his head and drinks water. Jason says he is tired of milk and wants another form of hydration. It is so fun watching them learn their new tricks. Isn't crazy how you can sit and watch your baby for like hours?!?!

Phoenix Fiber Arts said...

I bet it IS hard to watch her take little plops on her head! AWE! Being a mom is such rough work! I think she is one determined little chicka, and I'm pretty sure she got that from you Lori! As always, she is just too cute. I love bath time!

merrilykaroly said...

Looks like she has lots of fun in the bathtub! :)