Thursday, January 22, 2009

For anyone who was worried for us

I'm sure many of you have seen the news about today's big Microsoft layoffs. I was really touched by all of the people who IMed, messaged, or e-mailed us asking us if we were affected. Here's a blurb from CCN that sums up our situation well:

"Thursday's was the first mass job cut announcement in Microsoft's 34-year history. Prior to the cuts, Microsoft had been hiring rapidly, growing its global workforce by 14% since September 2007. But even as it cuts staff, the company said it will continue to hire a few thousand employees in the current quarter, mainly in its online advertising division."

Until around 2pm, that blurb was the only thing keeping us hopeful that the dream job was still ours. Luckily, Sam's recruiters and hiring team assumed we might be worried, and were nice and sent him some e-mails today assuring him that the job offer and start date haven't been impacted by the layoffs. We are SO grateful, but I still feel horribly bad for the many employees who weren't as lucky.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that we are still going to move to Redmond and work for Microsoft. On that note, Sam graduates with his masters only 3 months from Saturday... 3 ITTY-BITTY MONTHS!!!! We have so much planning and so many big decisions to make, I think my head's going to explode.

5 comments:

The Battisti Family said...

I'm glad that all worked out! Addie is so tall and so cute! It's funny Lexi got her top teeth a long time ago, but her teeth next to the bottom (or any other teeth for that matter) don't look like they're coming in anytime soon. Isn't she just getting more and more fun! I miss you and Addie!

Alan and Kiersten said...

wow what a relief! i'm glad things are still a go!

Danielle said...

That's great news!

merrilykaroly said...

!!!!! Thank goodness.

Kris and Megan said...

I was thinking of you guys!! We were just in Redmond over the weekend, it is a beautiful place. Anyway I'm glad the job is still in place, what a blessing! :)