Sunday, February 27, 2011

Paternity Leave

     Sam gets a month of paid paternity leave when we have a baby and we can choose any time in our baby's first year to use it. He took 2 weeks off with his normal PTO when Simon was born, then chose to take January off to spend with all of us after Simon was more busy and I would need a break from 2 kids. We had SUCH a fun time together! It was like being high schoolers again. We stayed up late every night, slept in most every day, and just had tons of fun simply being best buddies and a family. The kids loved having him around and I was on cloud nine. 
     Paternity leave wasn’t all fun and games though, we took it as an opportunity to get all of those looming projects done. We built storage in our garage (yay), and also redid our master bedroom and our laundry room and guest bathroom.
     I finished the playroom about a month before that, so we’ll start with that, then I’ll do a post for the other projects.
     So here’s how the play room is. It still needs curtains and more decorations, but we painted the walls and put storage in for the myriad of Addie’s toys:



After all of the projects we did this last summer, we have officially redone every room in our whole house! Now all that’s left is the entry and our hallways, but it’ll be a while until we have the time and energy to attack the vaulted ceiling of our entryway.
     I cannot believe how satisfying it is to work really hard and long and collect new furniture piece by piece to build a home for my family. I have absolutely loved it and look forward to future projects.

7 comments:

kevandcan said...

That's my favorite part of home ownership - building it into your home over years and years. We've lived in this home almost 8 years and still have projects that make it "ours"

Aaron Hardy said...

You're hired.

The Hills... said...

WOW! A month off for paternity leave! I thought Brian had it made with his two weeks! That's so awesome!

And double wow! Your house looks amazing! Hope I get to see it in person someday! :)

Anonymous said...

The house looks amazing! I think my favorite rooms, as far as makeovers go, are the laundry room, and your office area. The whole place looks great though. How nice to have a place that feels so happy and beautiful! ...sigh, one day...

Phillips Family said...

Now you can start a TV show about remaking your house while your husband is on paternity leave. You can call it "Dad's Home"

Alan and Kiersten said...

the house looks A-MAZING!! seriously it looks fantastic!! i love every room! nice work. it makes me want my own house. :)

merrilykaroly said...

I love the organization here. We have been trying to figure out where to put all of our toys and actually still have room to walk around the boys' bedroom. I have been thinking about these types of toy bin shelves. They look sharp!