Friday, February 01, 2008

Etiquette when addressing pregnant ladies

       I know that the subject of addressing a pregnant woman's size is always an iffy topic, so I thought I'd at least share my opinion on the types of approaches that are most appreciated by me personally, and perhaps by the majority of pregnant women everywhere. Because I know I'm wordy and long-winded, I will let you all know now that this is probably more of an essay than a common blog post.
       Disclaimer: Your comments on the blog have been my source of happiness in regards to my self-perception during the pregnancy (along with Sam's never-ending support). Everyone has always said the nicest things on the blog that always cheered me up and kept me feeling comfortable posting pics and whatnot. But, my pics I took and posted online were usually of my bare tummy, or of myself wearing something tight so my belly's true shape could be seen. I don't wear spandex daily, nor do I go around flashing people- so the reactions that I get in day-to-day life differ greatly from the blogging world where only controlled pictures are posted.
       I have decided to address the two most commonly heard comments. Believe me, I know how strange it is that these comments are completely opposite from one another. Apparently, beauty (or perception in general) is truly in the eye of the beholder. The most confusing thing about being pregnant is trying to make heads or tails of conflicting comments or information you get from a billion different sources.

The most commonly heard comment: "You hardly look pregnant at all!" or "You're hardly showing yet"

How that was internalized by me the first half of my pregnancy:

       First off, from the day I started getting bloated or no longer having a perfectly flat stomach, I have felt "pregnant looking". Any time anyone commented to me that I did not look pregnant at all, made me feel:
       1) Sad for the lack of pregnancy recognition.
       2) Like I probably just looked like I was fat or out of shape as opposed to pregnant, which, though it was probably true, was not a perception I wanted confirmed by acquaintances.
       Though I had no discernible pregnant belly to a common onlooker when I was dressed in normal clothes does not mean that my actual belly did not look very pregnant at least to myself.
       Retrospectively, I dont know how "pregnant looking" people expected me to be at 1-5 months. I'd tell people "I'm 14 weeks pregnant" and they'd respond, "oh well you can't tell at all!" What does that mean? The general public needs to realize that most ladies don't look noticeably pregnant until 20 weeks+ or into their third trimester. So telling a 14-week pregnant person that they don't look identifiably pregnant is a rather moot point. The more appropriate response, if any need to be made, would be "you're looking great, have you noticed many changes?" This comment allows the pregnant lady to then say, "no, but I'm glad I look the same as I ever have" or, in my case, "I know you can't tell in normal clothes, but my stomach's changed so much already!", at which point I would hope to be congratulated for my pregnant progression.

How this comment is internalized by me now:

       I am now 6 months pregnant and have gained at least 25 pounds, so someone walking up to me and saying "you hardly look pregnant at all!" is really not good news to me. Though I'm sure that the person saying the comment thought that that would be music to my ears, meaning that I still look small in general or something, they are horribly wrong. Someone saying that I'm hardly showing or that I don't look very big yet does not comfort my brain in any way, shape, or form. My self-esteem honestly just needs justification from others that
       1) I do look decidedly pregnant.
       2) I am a cute pregnant person.
       Such recognition makes me feel that my progressive weight gain and bodily discomfort are at least justified in my pregnant condition. Someone saying I'm not showing much simply translates to my vulnerable head that to others, I just look like a normal, not particularly thin or attractive person. It also makes me feel like all my hard work at being pregnant is not acknowledged by others.

Second most commonly heard comment: "Wow, you're looking huge, do you have twins in there?!"

       This is a comment that leaves the pregnant girl confused in general because they don't know what was actually being implied. A rush of questions instantly fill my head when such a comment is made: Do I look huge like I'm fat? I'm I looking much more pregnant than I actually am? Maybe I'm further along than the doctor said, do I need to schedule another appointment or go to a different doctor for a second opinion? How pregnant should I be looking? Do I have twins I don't know about? Do I need to buy another crib?
       It's honestly just a mess of emotions. For me personally, I actually have enjoyed it when people would tell me I'm looking more pregnant than my actual weeks would indicate, because this made me feel like I was advancing and that other people are indeed noticing that I'm pregnant and special. In general though, I know that to many girls, being told that they look untimely large would crush their spirits and make them attempt pregnant bulimia (since anorexia is really just too ambitious for most pregnant ladies).

My proposed rules for etiquette when addressing pregnant ladies:

       1) If you really can't tell, always wait until a girl tells you she is indeed pregnant. Assuming someone is when they're not is awkward for obvious reasons.
       2) After pregnancy has been established, don't automatically feel the need to comment on size.
       3) If any comment is to be made on size, let it be "you're looking great, have you noticed many changes?" to allow the pregnant person to set the premises for the rest of the conversation.
       If she says she's feeling tiny and is happy about it, tell her she looks great.
       If she says she's feeling small for her stage of pregnancy, tell her you can definitely see a baby bump forming and that it's a cute one.
       If she tells you she's feeling big, tell her she's looking identifiably pregnant and how that's a great thing. Then follow up by telling her stories about people who gain 90 pounds while pregnant, but then lose all the weight within 6 months of the baby being born. Comments like that help give hope to pretty much any pregnant person who's feeling big.
       4) Just because it is common knowledge that (in the majority of cases) conception is made possible by intercourse, that women are commonly emotional wrecks, and that they more than likely have hemorrhoids, stretch marks, various forms of leaking, and could possibly be in stages of dilation or ephazement does not mean that it is ever appropriate for any third party to make any reference, joke, or comment that even alludes to these well-known facts.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Well said! As someone who lives with a foot in her mouth, it's always nice to have some guidelines.
And as a pregnant woman, I definitely vouch that sometimes "oh, you are so tiny!" is NOT what I want to hear.

Danielle said...

***APPLAUSE*** Not only do pregnant women have to deal with the changes their body is making internally and externally, we get to do it while others comment on it! Nothing like the general public make you feel on display (or worse, fat). At 36 weeks, my husband gave me a gift certificate for a massage - the masseuse asked me, "Are you overdue?" Nice. Granted I did have a 9lb 12oz baby, but that comment made me feel awful. I didn't feel THAT big. Oh, and my other story - I had a lady at the check out line ask me, "Are you dilated yet?" I'm sorry, I'm not sure how my nether-regions are any of HER business. Ergh. You should write a book on pregnant woman etiquette. People are stupid. You look healthy, happy and beautiful - don't let anyone you run in to let you think any different.

Becky said...

as a formerly fat pregnant person, I was super paranoid about my pregnant state. Some people just lose all common sense while around pregnant people.
I think your bump is perfect. And way cute. I am jealous.

The Royal Buffington's said...

Haha. Well, I for one always liked it when people told me I looked tiny. I knew they were lying, but I still ate it up. Even when I went in to get the sonogram,the nurse made some comment about how it would be easy to find the baby because I was so tiny and I wanted to kiss her on the lips. But that's just me.
And from what I can tell from your pictures, you don't look like you're having twins! People are dumb. The correct comment to a pregnant lady is always, "you look great. how do you feel?"
P.S. that's really gross about the checkout girl asked if your friend was dilated.
Loves YOU!

The Royal Buffington's said...

Lori...as always your kind words have touched my heart, from the time you hugged me after Newel and I broke up to the time you were there for my sealing. You are an angel my dear.

Autumn said...

That's a good post! Well put! I really think you are an oober-freakin-cute pregnant woman. By far the cutest I have ever, ever seen! Some women don't really enjoy being pregnant, but I see joy and a glow in your face. I am glad you embrace being pregnant. Right now you get to have a type of bond with your daughter that no one else can have. I am glad you post pictures of your cute tummy - it's fun to see her grow! I am so excited for you and Sam, you'll make great parents. And just for the record, I think you look just perfect. =)

Lance said...

What always creeps me out are the people that go up to pregnant people and go straight for grabbing the belly. Some even put their head down there and listen. What the...??? Maybe I am a psycho about space but when Jen gets pregnant, I am going to tackle anyone who doesn't have the courtesy to ask first.

merrilykaroly said...

You look beautiful pregnant.

I practically begged people to tell me I looked pregnant up until a couple months ago. Even my mother said I didn't look pregnant, and I thought, "Wow, everyone just thinks I've always looked like this! No fair! I must have been a fatso before I got pregnant."

I like to tease Josh because he knows I always wanted to look huge, and when he tells me I am, I act offended hehe.

Stephanie said...

I think friends sometimes truly believe the "you hardly look pregnant at all" saying, is what we want to hear as pregnant women. But that just leads me to believe they thought I was fat all along...definitely not a good thing for an emotional pregnant woman. So glad I came across your blog from Jooniper's!