I grew up in the portland area, where snow is a magical, bi-yearly event if you're lucky. The schools close, people abandon their cars on the freeway, and you aren't expected to brave an inch of snow to get to work even. It's a wonderful time of fancy and whimsy for all involved. Snow= lots of hot chocolate, all day sledding parties, and absolutely no responsibility aside from kicking the snow off of my boots every time I came back inside (or my mom would yell at us).
This being my background, I was a HUGE fan of utah's winters the first 2-3 years I lived down here. Snow was a beautiful and fun event and I didn't mind it one bit. It still made me all squishy and excited every time it happened.
... 5-7 years later, walking outside and seeing the snow almost automatically provokes swearing under my breath and flabbergasted eye rolling as I waddle out to my car to take 20 minutes to scrape the ice and snow off of it. I just get so freakin' sick of it. It doesnt matter if it snows a foot 1/2 here, you're still expected to go to school and to work as if nothing's different. Then there's the hell that is driving in snowy provo. Utah drivers are bad enough on dry ground- but they seem to take the snow as a challenge or a dare to see how retarded and wrecklessly they can drive.
The snow doesn't just show up all pretty creating a snowglobe effect then melt in a timely manner like in the NW either. It lingers around for months, forming massive mounds of dirt/sludge that border every road and parking lot. It makes it impossible to keep a car even remotely clean at all, and it just makes provo look so ugly and desolate. So though I can still appreciate the beauty of freshly falling snow as I stare at it out of my window- I do believe that my child-like innocence will never be regained.
With that being said, it's March 1st tomorrow and it hasnt snowed here in an entire week! Hip hip hooray! I honestly am SO excited for spring to come. I want to see flowers and leaves and green again. I want my car to stay clean for longer than the drive home from the car wash. I want to be able to sit in the grass outside and read. I want to go walking or bike riding. I'm almost sad I've already graduated because I used to LOVE to see campus come alive the first week the snow was gone. Everyone was out and about, playing frisbee and sitting on the grassy knolls that border the walking paths of BYU. It's just a fun time in general and I can't wait.
Plus, spring time means baby time! Tomorrow is March, and my baby's coming sometime by the end of april, which means that as of tomorrow, when people ask me how long until the baby comes, I can reply "She'll be here next month!"- I mean really, how freakin' cool is that? So three cheers for spring!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Its been in the 60s here and sunny all week. Im EATING it up.
YAY for spring!
Yay for spring! And for babies! Be careful though- Utah is known to get your hopes up with some warm weather, then poo snow on you halfway through April.
Amen! I grew up in Sac Town where it never, ever snowed. So when I moved to Utah, I was thrilled when the snow arrived! Now I just want it to go away! I'm ready for spring! (And ready to meet your cute baby!)
Where does Becky live? I'm jealous! I want SPRING!!! Ditto ditto ditto everything you said. And I can't wait to meet your little one either...especially because that means that 1 week later I'll meet mine. Hallelujah! So bring on the spring!
Sun, sun, sun, yep that is what your old homelad is full of now! How ironic! But... my little Miata still looks just like yours, muddy and cruddy from the last time it rained. Perhaps tomorrow some washing.
It's not spring yet! Winter storm this weekend, woo!
My daffodils are opened... the buds on the trees are leafing out...the rhodies are plump with flower buds and... the daphne odora is so wonderful, you can smell it all over the neighborhood! I love NW springs...
Sadly, our spring takes longer to arrive than Utah's. I did notice yesterday when it was 70 degrees that my tulips were poking out of the ground. Fortunately not so much that the howling snowstorm/blizzard today would stunt their growth. I was seriously concerned with the creaking of our walls that the roof was going to be pulled right off the house!
AMEN!!! I'm ready for outside runs, bike rides up the canyon and of course...softball! And nothing beats chilling at a baseball stadium with friends and family, chatting and cheering on the home team (assuming you are at a home game!)
Ellie's birthday was this week. We gave her lots of fun 'spring is coming' gifts like a kite, bubbles, sidewalk chalk and a jumprope.
Oh...and a fun trick that Rand thought up for the snow off your front window: a towel. We've done it all winter and it seriously saves time. Just put an old towel in the back of your car. Each night before going in...pull it out and put it on the front windshield. In the morning, whether it's frost or snow...it's not on the front window and you don't have to scrape it! Works like a charm! :o)
I am seriously wishing I was there. It is still SO COLD here. I love reading your updates, can't wait till the little angel gets here!
The NW is a beautiful place. I imagine I'll live here forever. Can't wait for your little baby to arrive. I pray for you all the time.
Post a Comment