Tuesday, August 26, 2008

12.5 hours of sleep

Addie's the happiest, smiliest, most wonderful baby all day long. She takes great naps, never cries or fusses (assuming she's gotten her naps), and is just a joy to be around. However; she definitely isnt one of those "my baby slept through the night at 6 weeks old" babies. She doesnt keep me up at night, but she's definitely been very keen on her "dreamfeeds" at night time; usually only sleeping for one 4-5 hour stretch straight. She goes to bed at 10 or 11 pm, sleeps until 3 or 4am in her crib, then wakes up to eat and finishes the night in bed with us, eating every 2-3 hours (both of us are 3/4 of the way asleep during those feedings though) until she gets up for the day at 10am. This is very much the routine she has chosen for herself. We've tried and tried to get her to go down for the night at 7, 8, or 9pm; but it's just not how she rolls.

I explained addie's night time habits to pediatrician yesterday and she said that for addie's weight/age/size, it really wasnt necessary for her to wake up during the night to eat, and that it sounded more like a habit than a necessity. She also said that we could definitely consider letting her cry for up to an hour for 2-3 nights in a row and that she more than likely would start sleeping through the night as a result.

Letting her cry it out didnt intimidated me too much because she rarely actually cries at night anyway... just angrily talks and I can tell she's upset but not so much so that she can't handle it on her own. I wouldnt ever let her hysterically cry or scream for that long; but I'm fine with the idea of letting her angrily talk or mildly cry for up to an hour now that she's 4 months old.

Anyway, so Sam and I talked about it last night and decided we'd give it a try for addie- but she totally called our bluff!

The little sneak slept from 10pm until 7:30 am straight through on her own!!! She must have overheard us talking lol. When she did wake up, we let her squawk for 45 minutes to see if she'd fall back asleep (during which time I pumped nearly 12 oz lol), then I gave her a nice dream-type feed at 8am, thinking it might be the start of the day or she might sleep for an hour more... but she totally immediately fell back asleep and slept in until 10:38 this morning!!!

She did get her shots yesterday, but totally wasnt sleepy for the rest of the day as a result; so i'm hoping she didnt only do this because of her shots. Either way though, i'm proud of her- Three cheers for Addie, yay!!!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow!! Way to go Addie!!! You lucky lucky parents!! We have the night time thing down, it's the daytime naps that are doing us in! Let's let Addie and Tave hang out and maybe she'll give him some tips! ;)
Thanks for all the great comments on my blog(s). YOu are so good about that...I check blogs usually when I'm nursing, so I struggle to type. But look, here I am!!
Addie is just so darn adorable!
Love lots

Callie said...

All right Addie!! I hope you're taking advantage of her great sleeping time...and getting lots of work done!

P.S. Those babylegs are SOO adorable. What a great idea too. They're like leg warmers.

Callie said...

i think addie is quite possibly the cutest baby i've ever seen!

Kris and Megan said...

I love reading about happy, good sleeping babies :) What a good girl!I'm very excited for you! Let's hope she keeps it up!

eric and melea said...

Eli did that exact same schedule around the same age too. Thats when I moved him into his own room. And once I knew he was able to sleep through the night, it was easier to let him fuss alittle in the night. He's now an 8-8 sleeper, so she may change too. Just see what works for her and then encourage that same schedule daily. Welcome to well rested nights!!

Phoenix Fiber Arts said...

Yay for Addie, AND for a more rested mommy and daddy! lol. I hope she keeps it up for you! If you learn any secrets feel free to share them! I am going to need all the help I can get! :)

Jolayne said...

So, is she continuing to sleep through the night or was that one time blessing?