Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Babyfood= Addie no likey

So... Addie's been LUNGING for my food or drink any time I consume anything within her immediate space, and if she's too far away to grab, she stares more intently than ever and holds out her hands in longing. She's always been interested in us eating, but not like this. She's also about five and a half months old and could use a few extra calories, so I thought we'd try her out on some baby food.

We started with some rice cereal and she HATED it. I made it with formula, which addie hasnt ever had, and ummmm... it's definitely best I've been nursing her because she was NOT a fan of the taste. Like, she gagged, squirmed, made horrible faces, and ultimately cried when it was in her mouth. I tried the rice cereal at all different consistencies and tried heating it up a touch to see if that would help and it turns out she just hated the taste.

So we decided to try phase one squash instead and she seemed to take much better to the taste (no horrific responses), but still did not seem to enjoy the process in any way at all. I dont foresee us implementing too much "eat like a big girl" time in the next few weeks. We'll probably do a jar of baby food once a week or something so she can get used to it more, but it for sure won't be a new priority in eating for a while.

Here are the pics we got of the "first baby food" landmark.

My child while still in her innocence:


Looking with anticipation:

Bleh, what's this gross glue mom is giving me?

We decided to thin down the cereal considerably and even heat it up a touch but nothing helped. Here's how it all went down after that (sam used the action sequence feature on the camera):

After round #1:

Not thinking she'll like the squash at all:

Hey, squash is great compared to that other goop!:

10 comments:

eric and melea said...

I think every baby is weirded out at first, cause they are only used to liquid. Get used to the new stage of gagging and choking, its oh so much fun. My advice is, don't rush the food- stick with the convienent stuff on hand (or on chest)

Stephanie said...

I love the fun faces she makes! Rachael has had her share of food she hates, so every time I sit her down and give her the first bite of a meal, she always cringes in anticipation of the dreaded rice cereal, though I've learned to just not give it to her anymore :)

Kris and Megan said...

too cute! that first picture of her was SOOO adorable- gorgeous blue eyes!!

Kris and Megan said...

too cute! that first picture of her was SOOO adorable- gorgeous blue eyes!!

Allie said...

Thats hilarious! None of my kids liked rice cereal either. I usually gave them bananas as their first food.

Jenn said...

Great pics! I LOVE that first one, it captures her so well. Maybe we'll try something other than rice next time too (easier that way cause then I don't need to pump BM to mix it with)

Becky said...

we always hated (and skipped) the rice cereal at our house too. My kids LOVE the squash.
Addie is just too cute.

Jolayne said...

Beautiful first picture. My kids didn't mind the rice cereal, but the texture is a big thing. You could even try the oatmeal cereal version--she might like the flavor better. I'd give her a couple of weeks and try it again.

Danielle said...

Have you tried the rice cereal? I'd make a face, too! Yuck. She'll stop gagging and cringing when she's ready. Just remember that if she needs extra calories, her mommy or formula is the best source. (We went through weight issues with Jace) Great pictures, though! She has such beautiful eyes - oh my gosh! Even if they are full of anticipation that mommy might bring the spoon up to her mouth again!

merrilykaroly said...

Haha! I love the action sequence.

I still think you might have some luck if you tried it with bm...we started out basically just feeding jr. spoonfuls of milk with floaties in them. Although he still has some off days, he is getting more used to the idea of what you do with a spoon as we thicken it...