Sunday, February 08, 2009

The gene pool

I finally took the time to digitize some of my baby pictures. I have everything up until I turned 2 done so far. Because I think I was a very cute kid, I was under the illusion that I was a cute baby as well. After going through my baby book this weekend, however, I realize that I was totally mistaken; I was definitely not very cute. It took me a couple years before the cute Lori developed.
I only have a handfull of Sam's pics from growing up, but from what I can see, he has the opposite case. He was an adorable baby, then hit his awkward stage when he was about 7, which is the case with most kids as teeth grow in and whatnot.
Here are links to the albums we have online at this point:
Baby Lori
Kid Lori through the mission
Baby Sam
Kid Sam and some pics of him before his mission.

So for anyone who has ever thought, "oh Addie looks just like Lori" or "Addie looks just like Sam"; this post might add a bit more perspective on your thoughts...

As newborns:
Me:

Sam:

Addie:


Around 6 months old:
Me:


Sam:


Addie:



At about Addie's current age:
Me:


Sam:


Addie:



Overall, I think Addie looks more like Sam, especially as time goes by, but here are my general impressions:
  • Her eye lids are like Sam's, but her eyes underneath those lids are much like mine and she has my eyelashes.
  • Her chin is definitively Lori, but I think her general head shape is like Sam's.
  • Her mouth shape (especially when she smiles) is a lot like Sam's too, but the general lower half of her face is more Lori-ish.
  • She does not, thank goodness, have the prominent (meaning wide and huge) Ball Family nose that took me 20 years to grow into. Her nose doesnt look much like Sam's in his baby pictures either though, so she must have some type of hybrid.
  • She tends to look more like me from straight on, but more like Sam when she turns her head at all.

In general, I think the only logical conclusion to come to is that Addie looks like Addie! She pretty much took the cutest aspects of me and Sam and embodied them all to make a super cute baby look that is all her own :)

Anyway, there's today's walk down memory lane. I'll let you all know when I've got more growing up pics online.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! definately a perfect mix of the two of you. it's weird that two completely different looking people can make a baby that looks so much like both of you. she's so super adorable!

Jenn said...

I agree she looks like sam, especially those first pics. The first pic of addie she looks like a porcelain doll

Chris and Cindy said...

How fun. Very cute pictures of the whole family. We can tell you are related! :)

Becky said...

yeah, there is a healthy mix there. and Lori, you looked like a boy. ;)
*mwah!*

merrilykaroly said...

Wow, that second and third picture of Sam look so much like Addie! Especially the second one. How fun! Loved it.

Chelsy said...

all these pics were great. I don't know that I realized just how much Becky looks like your mom until seeing your baby pics...she totally looks like your mom. And you look more like your dad.

I think Addie is a good mix of you both...with a little more Sam in her. It's a good mix!

I think usually people just say she looks like the person they know better out of the parents. I get that alot with my parents (though looking at pictures I definitely look more like my dad). But that fact that I'm a girl like my mom, makes people tend to lean that way in choosing. Just the randomness.

PS: totally offended I'm in none of the pics with you during your college years...like we didnt' live together for almost 3 years!!! I'll get over it! haha (just kidding, but had to throw it in)

Alan and Kiersten said...

what a fun post! it makes me want to do something like that. don't be mad if i do!!! ha ha! addie is great mix of both of you! i always thought she looked more like you but you can really see the both of you!