Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ben Folds concert: do I dare tempt the fates?

       Remember over a month ago when I posted about how I was bummed because Ben Folds is playing on April 23rd and I wasn't sure if I would have had my baby already or not?
       Well, we bought tickets anyway, just in case- and of course, we are now totally torn as to whether or not we should go. If we pass it up, we're out $80 (we already tried selling them). The money isnt such an issue with us... but I'll be totally bummed if we stay home and nothing happens just to prove we could have gone.
       The concert is at the Saltair in Magna UT, which is just over an hour away from here. I totally want to go, but Sam (who's always been much more practical than me) thinks it's a horrible idea, considering I cant even sit up for a half hour on our couch without contracting so bad I start whimpering and sweating, let alone stand at a concert or sit in bad concert chairs for 2 hours+. Not to mention it would put us a good hour away from our hospital and whatnot.
       So torn so torn... what's a contracting, fully-effaced, more than a 5-dilated girl to do? Do we play it safe and stay home? Or do we go and just make sure to bring a baby-birthing tarp for the back of the Rav4?

14 comments:

Allie said...

Oh thats such a hard decision! We want you guys to come! Mike is getting ready for med school and volunteering at the hospital so maybe he could deliver a baby??

Lori said...

Ha, if he does... he'll need to promise to never speak about seeing me give birth to anyone else afterwards lol.

Shakes said...

I say go. What's the worst that could happen? You have to clean the upholstery in your car and your child has the coolest story about where they were born.

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

i say go too. it will help take you mind off contracting and you can enjoy one of your last moments of life with out children. think about all the babysitting arrangements you would have to do later on to go after she is born. and if you are crowning then do not go all the way to provo there are plenty of good hospitals in salt lake that can deliver your baby.

Chelsy said...

Sam may dislike me after this...but go! Of course, my final answer is to pray about it (either to see if you feel good about going, or pray that you won't go into labor for one more day!) :o)

Chelsy said...

Sam may dislike me after this...but go! Of course, my final answer is to pray about it (either to see if you feel good about going, or pray that you won't go into labor for one more day!) :o)

Lance said...

I agree with practical Sam. Your baby is fairly important and considering the lengths you've gone to try and make sure she is healthy, I'd hate for your efforts to be possibly nullified by $80 concert seats.

Ben Folds will play again. If they don't, you can hold it against me personally. Your baby is the more important once in a lifetime event.

kevandcan said...

I'm lame, but I'd say don't go -- besides, if you're cramping already, sitting in a car for 2 hours round trip, being around a lot people that could get you sick, etc....

Your call, but enjoy the evening together and give the tickets to some friends for some future babysitting credits.

Sarah Anne said...

I say tempt fate, because nothing will tick you off more than watching the clock during the concert whilst your baby still rests inside you.
Just take some meds for the car ride, it won't be fun whether or not your in labor.
Good luck, let us know how the concert was.

The Hills... said...

Oh man, I remember you mentioning the concert. Who would have thought?

Lori, you've got to have this baby...we're leaving on Friday! I want to meet her! Tell her to hurry!

Danielle said...

I keep starting to write a post and then deleting it because it doesn't sound right...
I want you to go, but I'd be nervous. I'm nervous for you! You are already half way through labor, and if you started active labor at the concert you could go from 5 cm to 10 cm really quick!

If you decide not to go, be sure that you and Sam do something fun that you normally wouldn't do that isn't too far away from the hospital so that you aren't just sitting at home saying "I wish I was at the concert!"

As a side note, when Jace's heart rate dropped during labor, they used loud noises near my tummy to try to "perk him up" for lack of a better medical term - the noise from the concert might trigger something...good at this point, but not if you are away from the hospital!

Sorry for the long post. That's why I kept deleting it.

Nicole said...

I feel for you on this one...SO torn!!! My first thought was: GO!! You don't know for sure that she will come. BUT, after really thinking about what it would mean to have a baby at a concert...I think you should stay. Do something really fun to take your mind off it and know that you can see Ben Folds some other time. Your baby REALLY is more important right now and although she is already being a little stinker, you would hate yourself if something horrible happened during delivery and you weren't close to a Dr.
Plus, your body has already done the hard part...when you go into 'real' labor (I mean labor for the REAL thing since you HAVE been having labor!)she is going to come so fast!!!!
Good luck!!!
Love ya

Phoenix Fiber Arts said...

I'm with Sam. Don't go. :) I have a feeling when she decides to arrive it will be fairly quickly.

The Royal Buffington's said...

Silly Lori. I think you'd be hurting too bad to enjoy it.