Saturday, April 26, 2008

We're home!

I felt so good the first day, I figured that I must be tricked into a false sense of security and that I'd wake up feeling horrible the next few days. Honestly though, aside from my lack of sleep finally setting in, each day's actually better than the last.

Since I was comfortable and good to go and Adelaide was doing so well, we left the hospital yesterday at around 2 pm (about 30 hours after adelaide was born). We even stopped by my work to show her off a bit and fill out the insurance forms to make her officially covered and whatnot.

Being home's been wonderful. We enjoyed being here just me, sam, and adelaide yesterday- but we will probably be enlisting help from family close by until my mom comes on May 1st, then Sam's parents come on the 4th.

I'm going to have to give the MVP award to my new lazyboy recliner; it has already proven itself to be worth the $400 we paid for it. It just fits me and baby so perfectly, it's heaven.

We've mostly just been trying to catch up on sleep and take care of our little girl. She's such a good baby, I'm just so happy with her. She soothes herself really well and only cries as a last resort. I dont think she's cried for longer than a couple of minutes yet. In general, she sleeps a lot, wakes up and makes funny little quacking noises every once in a while to poop or let me know it's time to breastfeed again, then goes back to sleep.

Last night was a bit hard juggling breastfeeding and sleeping and whatnot, but I wound up leaving the bed and finding solace in my recliner where Adelaide and I spent the rest of the night.

Sam's too cute. He is such a sweet daddy and helps in every way he can- but he feels rather useless because her only real need is food and he is unequipped to satisfy her. He is great at burritoing her into her baby blankets and soothing her and holding her though, and I'm sure that she notices his efforts and feels his love. I'm just glad I have a husband who cares for us so much and is so willing to help in any way he can.

As for me, I'm already 15 pounds thinner than before she was born! I can't believe how much my stomach's shrunken, it's crazy! It's still quite gelatinous, but all of its girth is gone. I think I could even fit into my fat-day jeans if I wanted to. I also dont have a single stretch mark, so that makes me quite happy.

It's also so nice to be able to bend in the middle again. I actually look at things on the ground and brag to myself in my head "I could totally pick that up if I wanted to!" Then I do, just to prove I can :)

As for breastfeeding, everything's going quite well. Adelaide's stomach was totally full of amniotic fluid her whole first day. She was so full, in fact, that she just slept for 15 hours straight. We couldnt wake her to save our lives and she showed NO interest in breastfeeding. Luckily she had latched on really well right after she was born, otherwise I'd think she was a complete dud in the "i know what a boob is" department.

Around 8pm though, she coughed up big ol' bubbly amounts of the amniotic fluid. The nurses tubed out the rest, and adelaide was finally empty. She opened her eyes right up, saw her goal, and latched on like a leech. She's happily breastfed every 2-4 hours ever since. It doesnt hurt and we both seem to be happy with how it's working out. I'm pretty sure my milk hasn't "come in" yet- so we'll see how things go when that happens.

So that's the update on being home in general. We will post more pictures later on today or tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for all of your comments and your support. It's been way fun sharing this whole experience with you and it makes me happy that there are so many people who are interested in our little family.

On that note, visitors and well-wishers are more than welcome. Just give us a call first and promise not to judge me if I look horrible when you come over or accidentally talk about something birth related that's more information than you wanted to hear.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Im so happy things are going well. Oh, and there is no guessing when your milk comes in. The rock hard porn star boobs will definitely let you know lol.

Danielle said...

Don't let your sister scare you too bad ... I never had the rock hard boobs, and wore the same size bra all the way through. :o) There are lots of tips for relief once your milk is here, including cutting a cold cabbage in half. (I went to a mommy group led by a lactation consultant for a year).

I am SO glad you guys are home and doing awesome! I wish I lived closer.

Phoenix Fiber Arts said...

I am so happy for you Lori (and Sam). I am also happy to hear that you avoided the whole "stretch mark" issue. Lucky girl. I already have stretch marks just from getting chubby, so I am pretty sure I'm doomed. :) lol. Please remember all these little details about breastfeeding because I am sure I will enlist your help if I am ever able to get prego myself. I love ya, and am suddenly wishing we were closer so I could meet your little girl. ::sigh:: Make sure to upload lots of pics, there is no such thing as too many. :)

kevandcan said...

Congrats you guys! Glad your baby is doing well.

Miller Family said...

I am so glad things are going well, you give me hope that maybe I can do this when our little guy comes. We are still out of town but when we get back, be expecting a call!!

Nicole said...

Yay!!! for everything! Way to go on your natural birth...I am hoping this next one goes better for me and I'm able to do it. You are my hero! :) She is just so beautiful. I want to go into labor right now! I am ready to hold my own little guy. In the mean time, maybe I can come visit you while I pass the time away! You look so great and I am just so so so thrilled for you guys! Congrats again and again!
Love ya